Creative Chaos

Creative Chaos

Monday 29 January 2018

Plum Cake

I'm trying so hard not to buy stuff we just don't need. I've even set myself a bit of a pact to not do much shopping at all, bar supermarket and petrol, during the uni term. I'm trying ever so hard to buy zero stationery and craft items and using what I have. I have had to buy one pair of school uniform trousers, which at $60 a pair I was pleasantly surprised at. Yes - that is pretty cheap in NZ. Our school uniforms for *one* child can cost anything from $200-800 at a free (haha!) state school. And a wee bit of school stationery. Schools start the new year from today - my two go back on Wednesday.

I'm quite a bore really - I get excited about collecting flybuy points (a rewards card system in NZ and Oz). And our local supermarket has a promotion at the moment where by spending $150 plus a week, you get a "free" lunchbox. I'm in! A very useful promotion! They have a different container over 3 weeks. I'm really in when they have a "save 40 cents per litre of petrol" by spending $200 a week. I only spent money on groceries last week (oh and ordered postage stamps by mail) and I'm hoping all I spend this week too is the $217 I spent at the supermarket this afternoon! My car was filled up with free vouchers from my credit card rewards. It all helps working towards my trying to live on what we've got mantra! We'll push the voluntary school fees *which could be hundreds of dollars* out as far as we can.

**oh** - I did pay university over $6000 in fees last week, but that's an investment for the future...






We picked a ton of plums at my parents. Most have gone into the freezer, but we've been eating some too. In this humid heat though, nothing is lasting long in the fruit bowl, so lots of fruit has to be kept in the fridge.
Today I made a plum cake - dirt easy and I'll be making it again next week. It was delicious with some icecream this afternoon and I'll probably have another slice later tonight!

https://www.chelsea.co.nz/browse-recipes/plum-cake/#


It's a 10am start at university tomorrow, which is just perfect after a 3 day weekend!

9 comments:

  1. I'd look for the freebies too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. I got the lunchbox and the 40 cents off petrol voucher. Thanks NW. I like what you are trying to do. We grow so much we should be able to survive off it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying hard but did spend $20 at Kikki K on impulse - well it was for $112 full retail price, so a fab bargain!

      Delete
  3. that cake looks super delicious! have fun being back at school :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's often offers at our supermarkets over here where you get so much off per litre of fuel if you spend over a certain amount on shopping but now there's only the two of us at home our shopping bill has reduced considerably. It's different when Eleanor comes home, the bills go right up again. That plum cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have fuel vouchers at our supermarkets too. I'm carpooling for the next few weeks to a school where I'll be working alongside a teacher as part of my training, so I'll just give the driver some money towards petrol.

      Delete
  5. I got my 2 lunchboxes too, I am sure they"ll be useful for epp and threads.

    ReplyDelete