Creative Chaos

Creative Chaos

Saturday 17 September 2016

People - am I weird?! (knitters...)

I've just had a comment thrown at me, which truly has gobsmacked me!


I went out for a casual work dinner last night and took my sock knitting and knitted while talking and waiting for our meals and dessert and chat afterwards. My workmates know me well. Nobody blinks an eyelid at me and I can knit without looking and carry on with the conversation.


(meanwhile others are on their phones... seriously is knitting more weirder than people on phones? - all using our hands! Except I think I'm being way more productive and are partaking in conversation and not staring at a screen etc).


I knit everywhere - airports/planes/dentist/doctors/parks/family and friend houses/bbqs/ out for brunch/at pubs/cafes/restaurants etc. At school at morning tea and lunchtime. The students and staff love it and I've got both students and staff knitting too!  Always done it. Always with friends and family. If I turn up at your house, I'll sit down and get my knitting out...


Anyway I've just had the comment thrown at me by a person saying they would be highly insulted if I took my knitting out at their house, whether for a cuppa or dinner , bbq etc. I'm a bit gobsmacked... it really has thrown me!


Do you think it is weird? I'm so not self conscious and just get my knitting out, but it has truly never occurred to me that others would be insulted/find it weird...


Would you be insulted? Find it weird? I guess I've grown up in a family who always has something in their hands, wherever they may be!


(a really funny thing happened last night too - well everyone else thought it was funny - I was a designated driver. We went from a restaurant at a shopping centre complex to a pool hall ( we didn't get in as had to be a member?!) to a co-workers house. After I left I realised I had lost my knitting - cue me running around town after midnight trying to look for it. Found eventually in a car park! So happy I found my one plus three quarters sock!! I truly was going to be upset about it!!)

6 comments:

  1. I think go for it. Your friends know you and accept what you do. Others don't matter. I wouldn't take it to a restaurant though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't need people like that in your life!!! I take mine everywhere too. Can't waste time sitting round not getting anything done. So lucky you found your knitting. I'm on my first pair of socks, can't put them down!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must admit I've been known to take doll limbs that need stuffing to BBQs & always have some stitching with me wherever I go. So no I don't think you're weird at all. I'm not good at sitting around with nothing to do with my hands,

    ReplyDelete
  4. people say the weirdest things....if they are close friends they know you well, but I haven't bridged taking my knitting to strangers or just met you people. There is always a first time though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What matters is that friends accept and love you ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you, better to knit than be on a phone. That drives me crazy, yet seems to be the accepted norm nowadays. Knitting is much more productive, and you can look up from knitting, unlike from your phone screen! X

    ReplyDelete