Creative Chaos

Creative Chaos

Saturday 2 March 2019

A month has gone by...

I started school with 4 x 5 year olds on January 29. As of March 1, I have 17 x 5 year olds!
My days are crazy. They are mental. 17 x 5 year olds - many of whom are not ready for school and not ready for an hour of maths, an hour of writing, an hour of reading. It can be "sit down. Stop touching me. Sit down. Please do not hide. Please do not touch the stapler. Please do not touch the sellotape. Why are you eating MY lunch? I don't know where your shoes are. I don't know where your bag, lunchbox, jersey, hat is. Sit down. Do not kick or hit him/her. Sit down. Let's talk about keeping our hands to ourselves. Please do not rub out your neighbour's whiteboard. Stop stroking my leg". It is EXHAUSTING .

60 hour weeks. Attempting to teach 17 x 5 year olds to write/ do pencil grip all by yourself, to make sure you have all 17 of them all the time, lots of hugs, you're awesome, you CAN do it ( and you will! ;) ) , we just do our best, many with limited vocabulary.....

I feel like I repeat the same things over and over and i do have a firm voice (of which I totally get sick of using, but when multiple crawling around, hiding, hitting, saying no etc etc...) but it is HARD!

I think primary school teacher workloads, the mental strain , the pathetic pay etc is totally under-estimated. I have NO idea what my family are doing. I'm falling asleep after being at school from 7.30am to 4.30 - 5.30pm every day and then with shit Auckland traffic where it can take 45-90 minutes to drive a pathetic 17km home...

It IS awesome, but boy am I whacked! And let me see - it's the weekend. I still have to plan for next week.....













8 comments:

  1. It looks like soooooooo much work, but they are making progress and you are doing a fantastic job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing, 17 5yr olds just sounds exhausting.
    Breath, 7 weeks until Easter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And breathe! Glad you are enjoying your new job, although it does sound exhausting. You are lucky to teach where you are, here the classes are far bigger. I don't think you'd find a primary one class with less than 25 children.... I am grateful for anyone who teaches our children. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are doing an awesome job and I'm excited for you. That age group has too many wiggles!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep up the great work Kimberley. The kids will remember you forever and the progress you will see by the end of the year will make you want to do it all over again next year LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete