Creative Chaos

Creative Chaos

Thursday 18 January 2018

Closer the day comes

I just said to someone I need another holiday (ha - I'm just finishing 3.5 months of doing whatever I want!).
It has taken 16 e-mails; 4 visits to two different university campuses and about 7 phone calls to get my final university transcript from one university to another university. My new university have taken less than 24 hours to confirm everything and matriculate me - yay! But I'm in a timetable holding pattern as a couple of the compulsory classes are already full - so I have to wait a few days for them to open more seats - thus putting a hold on me really, properly enrolling.

And it's THE manic time of the year, as high school 2017 results were released yesterday, so all the year 13's are sorting out university places for 2018!

Our 16 year old passed NCEA level one (year 11) with an excellence endorsement overall (I believe only 20% of year 11 students receive excellence) and 4 subject endorsements too, so that is fabulous. He wasn't too happy with physics. It's a crazy system of not achieved, achieved, merit, excellence and that is all we are told... credits are used and you need 50 or more credits at excellence level to be endorsed with excellence and who knows how many to be endorsed at merit. Really year 11 is pretty meaningless... and it is crazy to put 15-16 year olds under the stress they go through. I believe New Zealand is the only country in the world where students sit external exams in the last 3 years of high school. It needs to be scrapped in year 11 I think.  But you can do level 1, 2 or 3 across year 11/12/13, so it does not really matter. In my day, 50% of us passed and 50% of us failed.... the system now is a huge improvement. He is still on a school trip in Vietnam and we've had a few updates.

It has been strange having only one child at home... it's kinda like I've no-one at home, if he is out and about or in front of a screen! It's all pretty easy anyway! I've just been pottering for days, vacuuming , sweeping paths, tidying up piles, writing letters, reading - really trying to get the house as tidy and clutter free as possible. Husband knows I might be at uni till 8pm in library some nights, so he can sort food/dinners for the next year :)

University will be 50 hour weeks and I'll be in a school for 2 weeks within weeks of the semester starting! It will be busy. We get few breaks until July and even during uni hols are expected to be at schools/doing tests/assignments/interviews etc! There is already huge amounts to read/practicum schools to sort etc etc. I am excited!

I'll leave you all with this today...

“I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.
Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.
So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.
Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.
Make your mistakes, next year and forever.”
--Neil Gaiman


No comments:

Post a Comment