Creative Chaos

Creative Chaos

Tuesday 10 June 2014

My Other Bandwagon - THROATS

My other bandwagon is sort throats. Today I had a facebook post about sort throats which basically said along the line sof "don't get antibiotics, try this drink instead".

PLEASE go to the doctor for EVERY single sore throat - yes - even as an adult. New Zealand has 3rd world country rates of rheumatic fever. We have a crisis. This steems from SORE THROATS which instead of tonsilitis could be strep throat. Sore throats can KILL you if strep and not treated. You are a danger with a sore throat to an entire community. Demand that the doctor take a swab.

Strep throat is rife in both Central and South Auckland at the moment. Thank God for throat nurses at schools - at a school I know of last week, they had 9 positives for strep throat.

It is NOT JUST a sore throat. Any sore throat is infectious and you could infect a kid with it , who does not have the money to go to the doctor. If strep this could stuff their heart up for their entire life if untreated.

Go to the doctor and stay home. This was a real bug bear of mine when I used to get tonsilitis and / or strep throat 3-6 times a year until I had my tonsils taken out last year! I get angry with any adult being anywhere if they have a sore throat. Keep your kids home from school too.

And lastly watch this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVT-4fqo8Xc

1 comment:

  1. I had rheumatic fever when I was a 14 and thankfully I had a good doctor who picked up the symptoms. I think it would be easier if we were able to distinguish the sore throats associated with a cold and those with strep throat. If it involves tonsils, swollen glands and temperatures it's more likely to be bacteria based, go see the doctor. If it's a cold sore throat then a trip to the doctor is probably not necessary. It's a bit hard trying to get your kids to explain it though. I never understand why parents send sick kids to school. Case in point, "Little Johnny was vomiting last night but he is o.k. this morning." He may not be vomiting but he is still highly germ ridden. Keep sick kids out of the community whatever illness they have.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete